The Portuguese Observatory on Cultural Activities (OPAC), is a research structure created in December 2018 at the ISCTE-University Institute of Lisbon, within the framework of the Centre for Research and Studies in Sociology (CIES), which is the responsible institution for its scientific coordination and functioning.
Its mission is to ensure the development of accurate and up-to-date research, studies and information related with several cultural domains and themes, aiming to contribute to current debates in Portuguese society and the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of public policies.
Despite the strong emphasis on Portuguese reality, OPAC also has a transnational comparative perspective, particularly within the European Union.
- Produce and disseminate indicators on arts and culture, including the designated cultural and creative sector;
- Develop original studies and join research partnerships with public and private institutions;
- Carry out and collaborate in research and scientific projects at national, European and international levels;
- Organize, host and participate in meetings, initiatives and events to present, spread and debate research results.
- Contribute to the articulation between scientific research and advanced university training (Postgraduate, MA and PhD) at ISCTE.dies and information related with several cultural domains and themes, aiming to contribute to current debates in Portuguese society and the formularaining (Postgraduate, MA and PhD) at ISCTE.